A Good IDEA

My degree is in economics, not political science. Not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I'm educating myself about such things as voting systems. I knew there were lots of options used in the world's democracies - and I just learned about a small organization dedicated to helping democracies choose the right "rules of the game" for themselves. 


The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes.


International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing knowledge resources, expertise and a platform for debate on democracy issues. It works together with policy makers, donor governments, UN organizations and agencies, regional organizations and others engaged in democracy building.


The US is not a member of this young organization. I hope some day we will be!

No comments: